Help for Haiti
Please see message from Geri about help for Haiti. --Bernie
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Geri Appel
To: 2009-10 Presidents; 2009-10 Secretaries
Sent: Tue, February 2, 2010 9:25:28 PM
Subject: Haiti Aid - Opportunities to Help
Hello everyone. Below is a message I have been sending re: Haiti. During my 2 week absence I received many emails of concern. I truly appreciate your thoughts and prayers for Haiti's desperate and sad situation. Hopefully much good will come from the terrible disaster there. District Governor Mike asked that I forward the following information to all clubs in the district. Message follows:
-------------------
I have been asked by many, many friends and family how they can help. Here are my suggestions. Obviously long-term work is needed and I am sure Rotary and the groups named below will be involved for years to come.
I have spoken with Rotarian Sam Muyskens (my Haiti travel partner and founder of Global Faith in Action http://globalfaithinaction.org (and http://globalfaithinaction.org/?cat=11 ), and he tells me that our area, Lambert, was not affected by the earthquake save for feeling the earth move. Everyone there is OK. I haven't heard about their family and friends in Port au Prince, though. I worry about the effect of the migration of the misplaced "up north." There is simply no way the area can handle more homeless, hungry people.
I am supporting Shelter Box www.shelterbox.org financially as they are a Rotary Club Global Project and have done amazing work around the world in similar disasters. Among the first international relief workers to reach Haiti were volunteers from ShelterBox, a U.K.-based disaster response organization supported by Rotary clubs worldwide. Each ShelterBox kit contains a 10-person tent, a water purification system and other survival necessities. About 2,000 ShelterBoxes - enough to assist 20,000 people - are in Haiti , and another 3,000 are due within
a week.
In addition, I am supporting Numana www.numanainc.org which is holding food packaging events in the area. My husband and I, along with Rotarian Sam Muyskens participated in Numana's first packaging event with the Rotary Club of El Dorado and 2,000 others, on December 29, 2009 (see January 2010 District Newsletter for the full story). It was fun and rewarding. Little did we know that those meals would soon be needed in Haiti. Delivery of those meals was speeded up and they were delivered in Haiti via McConnell. The Numana blog dated 1/27/10 says: "Colonel Dan Starrett, Exec. Director of Salvation Army World Services called from Haiti and said they delivered 250,000 Numana meals in four hours! They were being protected by the 82nd Airborne Division. A local El Dorado Salvation Army Officer, Capt. Rick Hammelund who helped us package the food in El Dorado , was actually deployed there so he was able to pass out some of the food!"
The 1,121,298 million meals packaged in Wichita January 23-24 at the Kansas Colisuem is going the same way and may be there already . Again, from the Numana Inc. blog: "We’ve had nearly 20,000 people in the last 3½ weeks package 2.1 Million Meals that are being sent to Haiti ."
A packaging event was held last weekend in Abilene (250,000 meals) and another event will be held in Wichita February 5-7 at the Hughes Metropolitan complex with the goal of another 1,000,000 meals. I will go to the one in Wichita and work again. It's fun and the food is desperately needed now. Contributions are needed to enable these packaging events to continue.
Rotary International - Rotary Foundation Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund: Set up to streamline the flow of contributions from Rotarians looking to assist victims of the earthquake. The funds will work with local Rotary clubs and districts, as well as emergency relief agencies, to meet the most pressing needs of people in affected areas. The fund will make grants after consulting with District 7020 Governor Errol Alberga or his designee. Funds will be used in the relief effort and for projects providing longer-term support and development. For more information or to donate, http://www.rotary.org/RIdocuments/en_pdf/haiti_earthquake_relief_daf_en.pdf
Contributions to any of the above are needed and will be put to good use - with little to no administrative expenses coming out of our contributions. If you have been waiting to see what you can do to help, take a look at these organizations.
God Bless each of you - and God Bless Haiti
Geri
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Geri Appel
To: 2009-10 Presidents
Sent: Tue, February 2, 2010 9:25:28 PM
Subject: Haiti Aid - Opportunities to Help
Hello everyone. Below is a message I have been sending re: Haiti. During my 2 week absence I received many emails of concern. I truly appreciate your thoughts and prayers for Haiti's desperate and sad situation. Hopefully much good will come from the terrible disaster there. District Governor Mike asked that I forward the following information to all clubs in the district. Message follows:
-------------------
I have been asked by many, many friends and family how they can help. Here are my suggestions. Obviously long-term work is needed and I am sure Rotary and the groups named below will be involved for years to come.
I have spoken with Rotarian Sam Muyskens (my Haiti travel partner and founder of Global Faith in Action http://globalfaithinaction.org (and http://globalfaithinaction.org/?cat=11 ), and he tells me that our area, Lambert, was not affected by the earthquake save for feeling the earth move. Everyone there is OK. I haven't heard about their family and friends in Port au Prince, though. I worry about the effect of the migration of the misplaced "up north." There is simply no way the area can handle more homeless, hungry people.
I am supporting Shelter Box www.shelterbox.org financially as they are a Rotary Club Global Project and have done amazing work around the world in similar disasters. Among the first international relief workers to reach Haiti were volunteers from ShelterBox, a U.K.-based disaster response organization supported by Rotary clubs worldwide. Each ShelterBox kit contains a 10-person tent, a water purification system and other survival necessities. About 2,000 ShelterBoxes - enough to assist 20,000 people - are in Haiti , and another 3,000 are due within
a week.
In addition, I am supporting Numana www.numanainc.org which is holding food packaging events in the area. My husband and I, along with Rotarian Sam Muyskens participated in Numana's first packaging event with the Rotary Club of El Dorado and 2,000 others, on December 29, 2009 (see January 2010 District Newsletter for the full story). It was fun and rewarding. Little did we know that those meals would soon be needed in Haiti. Delivery of those meals was speeded up and they were delivered in Haiti via McConnell. The Numana blog dated 1/27/10 says: "Colonel Dan Starrett, Exec. Director of Salvation Army World Services called from Haiti and said they delivered 250,000 Numana meals in four hours! They were being protected by the 82nd Airborne Division. A local El Dorado Salvation Army Officer, Capt. Rick Hammelund who helped us package the food in El Dorado , was actually deployed there so he was able to pass out some of the food!"
The 1,121,298 million meals packaged in Wichita January 23-24 at the Kansas Colisuem is going the same way and may be there already . Again, from the Numana Inc. blog: "We’ve had nearly 20,000 people in the last 3½ weeks package 2.1 Million Meals that are being sent to Haiti ."
A packaging event was held last weekend in Abilene (250,000 meals) and another event will be held in Wichita February 5-7 at the Hughes Metropolitan complex with the goal of another 1,000,000 meals. I will go to the one in Wichita and work again. It's fun and the food is desperately needed now. Contributions are needed to enable these packaging events to continue.
Rotary International - Rotary Foundation Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund: Set up to streamline the flow of contributions from Rotarians looking to assist victims of the earthquake. The funds will work with local Rotary clubs and districts, as well as emergency relief agencies, to meet the most pressing needs of people in affected areas. The fund will make grants after consulting with District 7020 Governor Errol Alberga or his designee. Funds will be used in the relief effort and for projects providing longer-term support and development. For more information or to donate, http://www.rotary.org/RIdocuments/en_pdf/haiti_earthquake_relief_daf_en.pdf
Contributions to any of the above are needed and will be put to good use - with little to no administrative expenses coming out of our contributions. If you have been waiting to see what you can do to help, take a look at these organizations.
God Bless each of you - and God Bless Haiti
Geri
Comments
Post a Comment